When I realized that I haven’t posted anything in FAR too long, I also realized that I’m not entirely sure what I wanted to write about to get started again. So I asked my friend Rodney for help and he told me to write about the little things that get me going. I thought it was a great idea!
There are a lot of quirky little things about me that make me uniquely Andra. Some of these nuances only live in my imagination, but there are things I do at certain times of the day to bring a spring to my own step.
1. I’m not addicted to coffee. But about once a week, I NEED a cup of coffee with vanilla creamer and a little sugar, to survive my morning. Either that or I go to Starbucks and get a white chocolate mocha, with vanilla, no whip. YUM.
2. I am not a clean person by nature, but I have tried to make myself into one my whole life. My bedroom or kitchen may get messy at times, but it will not stay that way forever. I become a little whirlwind and clean everything in sight and then promise myself that I’ll never let it get bad again and then before you know it, it’s a freaking mess again! My family gave me a sign when I was a teenager to hang on my door. It said “I cleaned my room yesterday. Sorry you missed it.” It’s so true. I’m just not compulsive enough or anal enough to keep everything spotless, every day. I think that it’s good for me though, because when I get it all spotless, it makes me feel sooooo good. It’s almost worth a little mess for a little while, to be on top of the world when the mess is gone. Maybe there’s more to this, than I know…. ?
3. I am a total grammar and spelling SNOB. I lose a lot of respect for people if they can’t use “their”, “there” and “they’re” correctly. It drives me bonkers when someone says “supposebly”. Folks, let me clear this up for you. It’s “supposedly”. We all have those people in our lives that cannot say certain words correctly to save their lives (bless your heart).
4. I have road rage. There I said it. It’s bad. I don’t see red, but I love to use my horn (I refrain from using my finger). I don’t mean to turn into a different person behind the wheel, but I do. I like to drive fast. I don’t like to be cut off. Lately, I’ve tried to be calmer behind the wheel. I see bad accidents on the way home every day. Like yesterday, I saw a car completely flipped over on the interstate. It’s really scary out there and even if you are a responsible driver, someone else can come along and kill you. Please don’t text and drive. Please don’t email and drive. Please don’t google map and drive. Please don’t facebook and drive. Please just turn up your music and keep your eyes on the road. All that being said, the other day, I had a lot on my mind so I turned on Rascal Flatts’ very first CD, rolled down my windows and got a lot of good thinking done the 30 minutes I was in stand-still traffic. It was actually enjoyable to sit in traffic, listen to good music and be relaxed. Maybe I should try that more often. Perhaps Gary LeVox’s voice is like a lullaby to me.
5. If I thought about it and wanted to spend the money, I’d have fresh peonies or rubrum lilies in my home and on my desk at work, all the time. I’d rather have them given to me. I’ve always acted like I don’t like flowers, but what women HONESTLY doesn’t like flowers? Not a one. Unless she’s allergic or just silly.
6. I love to go hiking. Just me and Jake. Out on the trail, with my camera and a water bottle. My favorite place to go is Eisenhower Park. I love to leave my phone in the car and be alone with my thoughts and my dog for an hour. I haven’t been in a while and I’m aching to go. Soon! And then fro-yo after!
7. I like to play Tetris and I’m the master. When my laptop wasn’t broken, I would play Tetris while I was on the phone with people. It helped me to listen better. I swear, it’s true. But really, I’m awesome. At Tetris.
8. I love, love, love to cook. My favorite thing to make myself is fried chicken or tacos. I could eat homemade tacos every day of my life and never tire of it. I tried a new batter recipe for fried chicken the other night and oh my!! I love to cook for myself, but I love even more to cook for someone else. I don’t often have someone else to cook for, but if you’re ever hungry, call me and I’ll cook us up something yummy!
9. I like jolly ranchers, rather than chocolate. I love ICEE’s, half cherry-half coke/dp. I’m addicted to shopping (my closet is out of control). I don’t like dessert. I like to people watch and listen to strangers’ conversations. I sleep on one side of the bed, instead of in the middle. I think it’s fun to paint my nails, but it always chips off after a day. I feel naked without earrings. I can’t sleep unless it’s completely dark and completely quiet; you will never see me passing out with the TV on.
In starting this post I had one idea of what I wanted it to be, but as I’ve written it has evolved into something else. These are just a few things that make me unique, but this isn’t the whole story to me. There are a few things in there that are just funny little things that make me happy. BUT it’s not all about me. I challenge you to find the quirky little happiness-es in others’ lives and do something small to make them smile. You can do something to make yourself smile, but there is no greater pleasure than creating happiness in someone else. Make someone smile!!